The Samira Project is a partnership project in Islington between IMECE Women’s Centre, Latin American Women’s Aid (LAWA) and Kurdish and Middle Eastern Women’s Organisation (KMEWO) supporting BME women aged 16+ who subject to VAWG including, domestic violence (DV) harmful practices (HP) such as forced marriage, (HBV) “honour” based violence and female genital mutilation (FGM).
The project provides holistic specialist support including information, crisis intervention, resettlement support, hand-holding support as well as support accessing the criminal justice system. The project is delivered in a range of languages including Turkish, Farsi, Arabic, English, Turkish, Kurdish, Gujarati, Spanish, Portuguese, and Swahili. The project also holds weekly outreach surgeries at a variety of locations across the borough including at the Whittington Hospital, KMEWO offices in Archway, IMECE offices in Newington Green and LAWA offices in Dalston.
BAMER Network meeting:
Samira project offers an effective, innovative and responsive network meeting, which brings evidence based intelligence and best practice together to empower our members, communities and individuals, to tackle inequality and influence improvement in the planning and delivery of VAWG services. During the 2018-19 periods, the Islington BAMER Women’s network held 4 quarterly meetings for discussions and workshops; organised 2 events for the White Ribbon Day and International Women’s Day. The network has about 120 members. The following are Islington BAMER Network Activities 2018-2019 to at the quarterly meetings the following issued were discussed;
- “Research findings from case analysis of domestic homicide reviews and recommendations for practice for GPs, mental health services and other healthcare services”. Miranda Pio, Standing Together
- Women Against Homelessness and Abuse (WAHA) Workshop Kaveri Sharma (LAWA)
- BAMER Women’s Housing Rights and Intersecting Needs- Rosa Heimer (LBWP)
- Step Up Migrant Women’ Update by Illary Valenzuela (LAWRS)
- Faith, VAWG and the Community Response – Manju Lukhman, LBI
- Anchor Project by Karolina Bober (LBI)
- Presentation on the Central North Safeguarding Hubby DC Sevinc Karasu (MET)
- DVA in Early Childhood and Adolescent Offending / Exploitation- Curtis Ashton, LBI
- Keel Project – Catherine Briody LBI
- Database of BAMER Organisations and Services
- Barriers and Positives for BAMER Orgs and Service Users
- International Women’s Day Review – IMECE The events focused on the themes like Solidarity, Strength, Determination